How-to get good positioning accuracy for ALIS (iPhone and iPad)
Due to the global market evolutions, Trimble has discontinued the Trimble R1 - ALIS preferred device for location accuracy in the past.
However, there are other good alternatives for sufficient location positioning on iPhone and IPad native ALIS apps.
iPads with Cellular data
Using built-in GPS from the mobile device
All iPads ( with Cellular data running iOS 15 and up )
|4G cellular data||4m|
iPhone 12 and up
iPad mini - 6th Gen and up
iPad Pro 11 - 5th Gen and up
|5G cellular data |
|4||All iPhones and iPads|
( Best alternative for Trimble R1)
|5||All iPhones and iPads||Bad elf Flex (Extreme)||sub-meter|
How to use Cellular data for increased location accuracy.
- Arrange a cellular data connection for the device and test the internet connection by accessing a webpage through your browser
- *Optional* When using a local Router for iPad-iPhone communication connection
- Modify the Wifi settings when connecting to the ALIS local wifi network to have a static IP address as in How-to fix iPad Offline/not synchronised/not connected to the internet
- The iPhone should now synch ALIS data through the Wifi and it's location and internet through the cellular data connection
- The Location accuracy of your device should now be more precise when using the ALIS mobile Apps and other location positioning services.
How to use the Bad-Elf with ALIS
- Turn on the Bad-Elf surveyor and optimise the clear sky visibility of the device
- * First Time use * You can pair the Bad-elf Surveyor through Bluetooth with the iPhone or iPad as a regulator Bluetooth device ( first time pairing - next connections should be automatic)
- * First Time use * verify the Bad elf configuration in the Bad Elf app for optimal location correction: https://bad-elf.com/pages/achieving-high-accuracy-with-a-gnss-suveyor
- The iPhone location service will be taken over by the Bad elf Surveyor device and no further action is needed to use it with the ALIS application.