This article is only applicable if the cellular data-SIM is put in the iPad and not the in the Wi-Fi mobile hotspot!
The ALIS Team application makes a secure connection over the internet to retrieve or upload data. When you would find that your iPad is offline or has no internet connection (as in the screenshot below), then there could be a configuration issue of the ALIS Wi-Fi network on the iPad.
When having the cellular SIM directly in the iPad, the configuration should be to use the cellular data connection to connect to the internet and to use the Mobile hotspot to connect the iPhones (ALIS Personal) that are in the neighbourhood.
By default, the Wi-Fi setting on the iPad is to of Automatic IP assignment (DHCP). If the SIM card is not in the Wi-Fi Router, we need to set that Automatic IP assignment for the ALIS Wi-Fi-network to MANUAL (without a default gateway).
The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) assigns (IP-) addresses that identify devices on your network. Once assigned, devices use these addresses to communicate with each other and with computers on the Internet. The functionality of a DHCP server can be thought of as similar to a phone company handing out phone numbers, which customers then use to call other people.
An Internet Protocol (IP) address is a number that identifies each computer across the internet or a network. When you connect to the internet or an IP network, your computer needs an IP address.
Your IP address can be provided in two main ways:
Automatically: Your computer is assigned an address using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP).
Manually: Your ISP or network administrator gives you an IP address, and you enter it in the Network pane of System Preferences.
How To change your IP address to static for ALIS Wi-Fi
- Make sure the ALIS Wi-Fi hotspot is turned on. ( wait 1 min for it to create the ALIS Wi-Fi )
- On your iPad - Go to the General device Settings.
- Select the Wi-Fi Tab and find the ALIS Wi-Fi.
Below you see that the iPad is trying to connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi (icon in the top right )
- Press on the next to the ALIS Wi-Fi ( here called "ALIS Hotspot Marketing" )
- Verify or select the following settings
- Auto Join Enabled
- Note down the IP address and subnet address that is currently being used in Automatic mode.
- set the "Configure IP" to MANUAL
- Fill in the IP Addresses and Subnet as noted down in step b - don't fill in the Router Address!.
- Use the back button "Wi-Fi" to go back to the Wi-Fi overview
- Verify that the iPad is now using cellular data for its internet and looks as below.
- Open the ALIS Team App and check if it synchronises your data and updates your connection status (if needed shut down the ALIS Team app and relaunch + login).